Sunday, December 16, 2007

Lightbulbs!


File under "What a Country!"

Light bulbs is the subject which is currently exercising my indignation.

Let me start the story from the beginning. Our compound has been bought by a new owner. The new, penny-pinching, management have decided to terminate the supply of replacement light bulbs to tenants.

Not a big problem, you might think, after all light bulbs are not very expensive and can be easily obtained at the nearest hardware store (yes, we do have hardware stores here).

Wrong!

All the lights in my house are 110V, screw fitting (similar to the one in the picture). This is the US standard and is used by most lights in the kingdom. Matching bulbs should be easily available - but they are not.

I went to the hardware store yesterday and bought some 110V bulbs only to find, when I got home, that they were bayonet fitting not screw fitting. When I took them back to exchange them I found that the shop did not have a single bulb of the type I need.

You can get a 110V bayonet fitting bulb, or a 220V screw fitting bulb, but you cannot get a 100V screw fitting bulb! Why?

Well, I went and asked the Saudi behind the Customer Services desk about it (hah! - they don't know the meaning of "Customer Services") . He was very polite but at first claimed ignorance.

When I pressed him for an explanation he told me that when they do put light bulbs of the type I wanted on the shelves, they all go the same day. According to him, people buy these bulbs for 1.50 riyals in the shop and then sell them for 2.00 riyals in the market!

He then shrugged his shoulders as if to say "what can one do?"

Well, let me suggest to them what they can do. If they are making a profit at 1.50 riyals per light bulb, why don't they order more light bulbs and keep putting them on the shelves until they stop selling them all the same day? Then, someone who comes into their shop might actually be able to buy what he needs! The customer will be happy and they should be happy with the extra profit.

On reflection, I realise that I know what the problem is. Saudi owners and senior management do not like to delegate authority; they want to micro-manage the business. What the store (and most stores in the country) lack is a manager who has the authority to take independent action that can affect the performance of his shop and who is rewarded for its success.

The result is organisations which have very centralised management and which are unable to respond to local conditions or rapidly changing conditions..

Oh dear, my rant about light bulbs has become a lecture on business management!

No comments: