Friday, November 23, 2007

BBC World: Jihad and the Saudi Petrodollar

I have just finished listening to the second part of the BBC World documentary "Jihad and the Saudi Petrodollar". Programme one, "Wahhabism" can be listened to or downloaded from here; programme two "The Money Trail" can be found here.

It comes as no surprise to a Westerner living in Saudi that money from Saudi is funding Jihad around the world. Much of what goes on occurs in Arabic but once in a while you hear something in English.

For example, my suspicions were aroused a year or two ago by an appeal for money for "Palestinian Children's Hospitals". Given that the UK has, to my knowledge, only one dedicated paediatric hospital (Guy's Hospital, London) I find it remarkable that the Palestinian territories have a multitude of them. But, perhaps I am wrong.

That wealthy Saudi individuals and Saudi charities contribute to what we would call "terrorism" is undeniable (except they do deny it). What is not clear is the extent of Saudi government involvement.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a DYNAMITE day my friend!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for good stuff.