Saturday, March 10, 2007

Murder at Madain Salih


It occured to me, after my drive to Riyadh, and after I had posted about it here, that it was either a brave or foolhardy thing to do so soon after four french nationals had been shot and killed by terrorists near Madain Salih (see picture).

By the way, the buzz is, amongst the ex-pat community that this was not a drive-by shooting, as described in the media. The terrorists, it is said, stopped the vehicle and made the occupants get out. The men were first separated from the women and children before being shot.

However, recalling the idiots who flew past me on the highway at speeds well in excess of 160 k.p.h. (100 m.p.h.) I realised that I was in far greater danger from them than from anyone who wanted to shoot me! The risks of driving in Saudi Arabia is something I have already discussed here.

1 comment:

nuh ibn zbigniew gondek said...

As salaam alaikum.

I am a Canadian Muslim writer -- I just happened to surf onto your site today.

Come by my blog insha'Allah if you have an interest in poetry, reflections, fiction etc...

Ma'as salaama,

nuh ibn